Aide en ligne - Autoroutes Sanef et Sapn

What should I do about my Pass if I change vehicle or I replace my windscreen?

There's nothing easier: deactivate your Pass by logging onto your account or by calling our customer services. You can then request a new Pass free of charge.
If you have a Prepaid Pass, you can request that your balance be transferred to your new Pass.

Other frequently asked questions by our customers: